Welcome

Welcome to all who visit this Blog whether you suffer from Multiple Sclerosis or have a loved one who does. Hopefully this will help all who read understand that they are not alone even though MS affects us all in very different ways. Maybe it can help open eyes of those around who do not know the unpredictability of daily life with MS.
The purpose of this blog is to offer support and inspiration. Please feel free to share any useful information that you have gathered along your journey and words of inspiration. It is hard to overcome all the obstacles we must face and it is nice to hear ways people have adapted. Inspirational stories and anectedotes are especially sought after.
If you post and suffer from Vision disabilities you are welcome to post in all capitals and no one will think that you are shouting.
my blog

Monday, January 25, 2010

I like to move it, move it

What shall we talk about today???
Today was just an ordinary day. Right now, ordinary is good.  I started my Pilates again.  I wonder how long it will last this time.  I actually feel better and have less pain when I do Pilates.  I think the stretching helps the muscle spasms thus leading to less pain.  Pilates allows me to strengthen my muscles and it is also an indicator for a flare for me.  The last time I was faithful to my routine, a few months ago, I could lift my legs like they were lighter than air and the following day I could no longer lift my left leg up, that was my last worst relapse back in August.  Since then I have had foot drop in my left foot and loss of muscle tone and definition to my left calf.  I have not been able to regain in back, but I will keep trying.
  I have a big elliptical machine in my bedroom that has been gathering dust for the last 6 months or so, not for lack of want but for lack of energy and balance.  My goal is to be able to use it again in the next month or so, but first I need to gain some of my coordination and balance back.  My husband is afraid that I am going to fall off the machine, which might be a valid argument at this point.
For Christmas, my husband gave me a Wii Fit Plus.  I used it a few times and it works, but my stamina is not quite up to it.  Lots of exercise games and they are actually really fun.  The balance board tells me I am off balance (Naw really???, who'd a thunk)
I have lots of options and varieties of exercises I can do.  Now that I am starting to feel a little better, I will slowly incorporate them back into my life.  It is hard to know my limits.  I tend to overdue in the beginning and pay for it the next day, but I am slowly learning to listen to my body.  I want to be stronger on a daily basis and not just sporadically.
"Lack of activity destroys the good condition of every human being, 
while movement and methodical physical exercise save it and preserve it." ....Plato

No comments: