Welcome

Welcome to all who visit this Blog whether you suffer from Multiple Sclerosis or have a loved one who does. Hopefully this will help all who read understand that they are not alone even though MS affects us all in very different ways. Maybe it can help open eyes of those around who do not know the unpredictability of daily life with MS.
The purpose of this blog is to offer support and inspiration. Please feel free to share any useful information that you have gathered along your journey and words of inspiration. It is hard to overcome all the obstacles we must face and it is nice to hear ways people have adapted. Inspirational stories and anectedotes are especially sought after.
If you post and suffer from Vision disabilities you are welcome to post in all capitals and no one will think that you are shouting.
my blog

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Support

I've decided that the most beneficial therapy to having MS is having a good support system.  I have been lucky with familial support, but also the support from my church, old friends and even new friends that I made through an MS discussion board.  When you are feeling at your worst and even when they don't know the "right" thing to say, just knowing someone cares and wants to see you better gives you big motivation and hope.
The friends that I made through the MS society discussion board, even though they are new to me and not in my neighborhood, have helped me the most.  I was lucky enough to connect with people who suffer with this disease and know the ups and down, but that also can find the humor in every situation.  I think that is the key.  It is hard when you dwell on what you can't do, but on what you can and what can strive for.
 There are some support groups out there that I find to be depressing.  People emphasizing all the negatives and the scary aspects.  I know what the possibilities of this disease are, but I don't need it thrown in my face all the time.  I need to live life to the fullest and take it one day at a time.  I need hope.  I need inspiration.  I need to laugh.  I need to be able to cry.  But what I don't need is someone to bring me down.  I can do that on my bad days all by myself.
Now don't get me wrong.  I will be there for my friends when they are having down days, no matter how long their bad days last, as I know they will be there for me.   It's the people that when you are trying to be positive, that like to give you all the reasons on why you should just curl up on your bed and let this disease ravage your body that I am referring to.  NO THANK YOU!!!!
My family is very dear to me and their support is what really keeps me going.  I was blessed with a very loving and supportive family.  I try not to "burden" them on my bad days, I don't want them to burn out.  But they know, because they know the me before this disease.  Can't fool them at all, even when I try.
I guess what I am trying to say is, find support.  Even if you have no family or no close friends, you can find support through other avenues.  The internet is amazing.  It allows you to connect with people just like you who are miles away and you can chat with them and know that they understand.  Going to church has allowed a whole new level of support as well.  Find what helps you.  Contact your local chapter.  Use your resources, don't be helpless.  Do what you can for your physical health and for your mental and spiritual health as well.
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." – Hebrews 11:1 


No comments: